This Tech Lead workshop is a course for Tech Leads by Tech Leads. This course focuses on technical leadership skills for Tech Leads through discussion, theory and practical exercises opposed to general leadership skills for Tech Leads. We explore the unique combination of skills and experiences that distinguish a “Tech Lead” from a “Leader working in a technical environment.”
Who is it for?
A combination between a developer about to lead their first development team, or a Tech Lead for an existing team. This course will be most useful for those with the opportunity to apply their learnings immediately, or to experiences they can relate to.
What will participants learn?
- What the breadth of the Tech Lead role encompasses
- Why the Tech Lead role is necessary
- What makes the Tech Lead unique from other leadership roles
- What a Technical Vision is and how to shepherd a team towards a Technical Vision
- What the common paradoxes a Tech Lead must manage
- Why Cross Functional Requirements matter
- How to identify and manage Cross Functional Requirements
Participants will leave the course with a clearer understanding of the role, new tools and mental models for handling Tech Lead responsibilities, experience applying some of these tools with feedback and a network of other Tech Leads to connect with.
What Background should participants have?
Participants will have had some experience working on a variety of teams, possibly tried facilitating several meetings and has had some experience with different parts of the software lifecycle (e.g. story writing, build and release infrastructure, development and test, release and/or iteration planning and production support). Ideally they have played a leadership role for at least one team, however even experienced Tech Leads will learns something from this course.